Job Standard for Financial Specialist, Sr
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Specialist, Sr Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75668
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Accounting
To perform a full range of advanced professional financial duties requiring the application of accounting and/or auditing theory, principles, and practices; perform related work.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business or related field plus 5 years minimum experience in similar type of work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good knowledge of supervisory practices.
- Some knowledge of state budget processes.
- Experience developing a budget and preparing financial reports; performing financial analysis.
- Experience in applying and writing policies and procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Requires strong computer skills with an emphasis on Excel
60% of Time the Financial Specialist, Sr must:
- Performs as the senior specialist; independently manage, control, and monitor a wide range of diverse, advanced financial functions as the sole or lead financial professional.
- Use seasoned professional background to develop budgets, develop and maintain accounting systems, prepare complex financial documents, and handle difficult or sensitive financial matters. Design, modify, and implement financial-related systems. Incumbents apply strong background in information technology to analyze, research, and maintain financial data, develop financial documents, and resolve problems.
- Contact with individuals outside a department to explain actions and conclusions, respond to inquiries, or resolve sensitive and complex problems can vary.
- Some positions may supervise the staff
- May conduct audits. Supervise the preparation of or prepare and explain documents of findings and conclusions. May audit financial data. Participate in developing policies and procedures for financial reporting systems and conduct research.
35% of Time the Financial Specialist, Sr
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Specialist, Sr
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day.
Not applicable for Financial Specialist, Sr
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.