Job Standard for Financial Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Financial Specialist Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75348
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
To perform various professional financial duties requiring application of accounting, auditing, and/or budgeting theory, principles, and practices; perform related work.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees. Typically hold a Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 2 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
- Good knowledge of: accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to present and explain investment information and financial plans
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Experience: using finance and statistical analysis software; analyzing market trends and providing data-based advice.
60 % of Time Financial Specialist will:
- Perform professional level duties involving accounting, auditing, budgeting, financial analysis, and/or financial reporting.
- Contact individuals outside a department to explain financial business practices, respond to inquiries, and resolve professional accounting/auditing problems.
- May supervise or provide guidance to or train other professional or support staff
- Prepare reports of findings, conclusions, or recommendations.
- Participate in or design, modify, and implement financial-related systems
- Research and analyze data for accuracy, trends, and variances to ensure acceptable business practices and procedures for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
35% of Time Financial Specialist:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Financial Specialist:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Financial Specialist
Financial Specialist, Sr.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.