Job Standard for Financial Support Technician
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Support Technician Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 04250
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
To perform specialized financial record keeping, maintenance, review, verification, and support functions; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision
Some knowledge of: financial record keeping methods.
Experience: using personal computers to enter, retrieve, and edit spreadsheet data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some positions may be filled by specialty areas: experience in accounts payable, cash box reconciliation/deposit preparation; experience with MS Excel and MS Access software; state STARS system.
60% of Time the Financial Support Technician must:
- This classification is the first of four levels of technicians in the financial series. At this level, incumbents use bookkeeping methods and procedures to prepare work/spreadsheets, standardized summaries and reports, and perform reconciliations. Required to research accounting systems and records to identify and correct errors in financial transactions. Generally given latitude in explaining and applying policies, procedures, or regulations and in determining if financial transactions are in compliance. Decisions are non-routine in nature and require some weighing and analyzing of financial data and the use of judgment in determining an appropriate course of action. May supervise staff, or provide guidance or training to others in financial-related functions. Routine financial record keeping or bill paying functions that are more clerical than financial in nature are more appropriately classified in the clerical/secretarial series.
- Independently perform the full range of non-routine, specialized financial record keeping functions which may include but are not limited to reconciling, balancing, proofing, verifying, distributing costs among organizational units or programs, and making debit and credit entries. Computer skills are used to enter, retrieve, and edit financial data and prepare work/spreadsheets and other documents. Contact with individuals outside a department may vary from limited to extensive through personal contact, telephone, and/or correspondence to explain financial transactions, respond to inquiries, and explain department policies, services, and/or procedures to others within their area of responsibility.
- Incumbents may review financial documents and reports, perform calculations, and verify their accuracy.
35% of Time the Financial Support Technician
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Support Technician
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Financial Support Technician
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.