Job Standard for Financial Technician, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Technician, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 4249
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
To perform a variety of para-professional financial duties including developing and maintaining records, documents, reports and financial data; reviewing financial documents and records; performing some entry level accounting, bookkeeping or audit functions; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Some knowledge of: accounting principles and practices.
Good knowledge of: financial record keeping methods.
Experience: bookkeeping; using advanced Excel functions; researching and compiling financial information and preparing summaries and reports; using personal computers to enter, retrieve, and edit financial data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong skills in using computer systems to develop and maintain records, documents, reports and financial data.
- Some knowledge of tax laws.
- Experience using GenTax.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
- Experience using Microsoft Access software.
60% of Time the Financial Technician, Senior must:
- Incumbents are assigned more challenging duties in support of complex programs that require more follow-up, complex coding, interaction with other programs, and as a result, have considerable impact attached to their output. May serve as a supervisor over a small financial unit, as a lead worker and/or trainer, an are relied upon for impactful recommendations due to their deep knowledge and understanding of the programs they support. Function independently and exercise considerable discretion when dealing with public officials, business representatives, and/or the general public to identify and resolve non-routine issues involving laws and regulations; may conduct meetings and interviews, and may testify in legal proceedings. They may have approval authority over work generated by Financial Technicians, Financial Support Technicians and others.
- This is the third of four levels of the Financial Technician job classification. Generally this level performs higher level financial functions for an agency, program, or stand – alone regional district office than that performed by the first two levels of the technician classification. Incumbents at this level are paraprofessionals and have broad knowledge of the organization’s programs and financial requirements to oversee the preparation, reconciliation, and balancing of financial transactions and documents. These positions may supervise, have lead work responsibilities, provide consultation, train or mentor unit staff, etc.
35% of Time the Financial Technician, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Technician, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Financial Technician, Senior
Financial Unit Supervisor, Financial Specialist
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.