Job Standard for Financial Technician
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Technician Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 04248
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
To analyze, research, forecast, and reconcile complex financial documents; ensure compliance with laws, rules, and policies; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Good knowledge of: financial record keeping methods.
Experience: researching and compiling financial information and preparing summaries and reports; using personal computers to enter, retrieve, and edit financial data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience using MS Excel and MS Access software; Microsoft Word;
- Some knowledge of the State of Idaho STARS system; State of Idaho Statewide Accounting System.
- Experience in reviewing accounts payable and accounts receivable for processing and generating related reports.
- Experience coding and submitting claims or files, or storing, issuing, and receiving materials and supplies, applying inventory control methods
60% of Time the Financial Technician must:
- Responsible for specific financial duties such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, budget, journals, etc. May act as the sole technician in an agency, region, or district that encompasses a variety of financial activities that typically include budget, payroll and benefits, accounts payable/receivable, accounts reconciliation, travel, purchasing and similar support functions. Or, this position may be responsible for financial records processing involving specialized documents such as tax, securities, insurance, and similar documents where the impact on and contact with the public is considerable. Use bookkeeping, research and analytical skills, develop ad hoc reports and other financial data for use by management.
- Acquire broad knowledge of the organizations programs and financial requirements; identify and correct errors and discrepancies; determine cost allocations; maintain logs, ledgers, journals; May compile and prepare budget data and monitor cash balances as well as design bookkeeping-type record systems.
- Review, complete, and process financial documents and ensure their compliance. Determine and assign liability, penalty and interest, and resolve disputes.
- May deal extensively with business representatives, and/or the general public to identify and resolve non-routine issues involving laws and regulations.
35% of Time the Financial Technician
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Technician
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The ability to lift/move materials weighing up to 50 pounds, with or without a reasonable accommodation
Not applicable for Financial Technician
Financial Technician, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.