Job Standard for Financial Unit Supervisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Financial Unit Supervisor Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 4247
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Finance
To supervise the staff and activities of a financial support unit in performing paraprofessional accounting and bookkeeping functions; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Good knowledge of: financial record keeping methods.
Experience: researching and compiling financial information and preparing summaries and reports; using personal computers to enter, retrieve, and edit financial data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to monitor/assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
60% of Time the Financial Unit Supervisor must:
- This class is the fourth and highest level of financial Technicians. These positions supervise the activities and staff of a financial support unit where the primary responsibility is supervision. The predominant duties performed in these units involve bookkeeping, research and analyses of financial data, and the development of ad hoc reports and other financial documents.
- Incumbents have broad knowledge of the organization’s programs and financial requirements to oversee the preparation, reconciliation, and balancing of financial transactions and documents. Oversee the determination of cost allocations; maintenance of logs, ledgers, and journals; and the development of ad hoc reports, work/spreadsheets, and other financial documents. May compile and prepare budget data and monitor cash balances; design bookkeeping-type record systems and implement approved changes.
- Review financial documents and ensure their compliance with laws, regulations, and policies for approval or recommended approval. Determine and assign liability, penalty and interest, and resolve disputes. Strong skills in using computer systems to develop and maintain records, documents, and financial data.
- Some incumbents deal extensively with public officials, business representatives, and/or the general public to identify and resolve non-routine issues involving laws and regulations.
35% of Time the Financial Unit Supervisor
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Financial Unit Supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Financial Unit Supervisor
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.