Job Standard for General Maintenance, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
General Maintenance, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75137
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Operations & Services
This position is responsible for the management and oversight of building maintenance and repair activities, building enhancement and renewal projects, and delivery of various maintenance related services to the university community. This involves supervision of the electrical shop,carpentry shop, HVAC shop, maintenance craftsman personnel, paint shop, lock shop, plumbers, elevators,movers, dispatch team and the pool operator.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience including 1 year of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience leading large teams in the skilled trades and maintenance.
- Experience and successful managing of personnel and related issues
- Outstanding communication skills to ensure customer needs are being met and are satisfied with the services being provided.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with outside contractors, vendors and suppliers to procure goods and services.
- Ability to make decisions concerning the assignment, scheduling, and
evaluating of the work of a number of employees.
60% of Time the General Maintenance, Senior Manager
- Supervises trade foremen and key personnel in prioritizing and monitoring the
condition of the campus facilities in order to take corrective action to ensure that
they consistently meet department standards.
- Plan, and schedule maintenance repairs and projects, inspect the work of
maintenance personnel and contractors to insure that it meets campus standards,
and complies with applicable codes.
- Follow up on field visits – assign work to FO&M and work with A&E on coordinated
- Oversee the hiring, training, and managing the performance of personnel working in
the electrical, carpentry, painting, locksmith, HVAC, plumbers, elevators, movers,
pool, dispatchers, and general maintenance trades.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of the trade department(s) budget.
35% of Time the General Maintenance, Senior Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the General Maintenance, Senior Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for General Maintenance, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.