Job Standard for Grant Writer, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Grant Writer, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75665
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
This purpose of this position is to increase institutional and researcher competitiveness which will enable the university, college, and faculty researchers to obtain high stakes grant funding, central to faculty research, career development, and retention.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate cross-divisional activities and projects within complex industry and/or academic settings
- Demonstrated progressive experience providing advanced research planning and proposal writing in industry or academia
- Ability to use independent judgment, work well under pressure, seek and synthesize information, and communicate in a compelling and succinct form
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to establish timelines and best practices for research proposals
60% of Time the Grant Writer, Senior must:
- Comprehend, write about, and persuasively position wide-ranging and technical scientific and educational research content, and move rapidly from one deep technical proposal to another.
- Track and prioritize projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner and meet deadlines.
- Advise faculty on how to plan, prepare, and write highly competitive, technical and complex research grant proposals, meet often challenging criteria, and acquire best practice knowledge to improve their capability
- Resolve complex, technical, administrative and other problems or risks associated with developing proposals.
- Identify and assess new and diverse funding opportunities for specific projects and programs to advance faculty research and impact the long-term scholarly and creative mission of the college and university.
- Serve as the college’s liaison on research development with campus constituencies involved in grant funding activities in order to avoid duplication of effort, submission of competing proposals, and improve effectiveness and efficiency
35% of Time the Grant Writer, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Grant Writer, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Grant Writer, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.