Job Standard for Graphics Design Supervisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Graphics Design Supervisor Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01430
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Publications & Graphics
To consult with clients, create computer design and perform production and editing of text and graphics for offset reproduction printing and electronic media; supervise staff; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Good knowledge of: the design and development capabilities of graphics design and electronic media using current computer hardware and software.
Experience: demonstrating good knowledge of, managing graphics design projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose and produce design
- Ability to keep up-to-date technically and apply new knowledge to your job
- Ability to communicate effectively
60% of Time the Graphics Design Supervisor must:
- Consults with clients to determine the composition of materials and publication marketing and promotion needs; advises client in order to meet desired product; identifies formats, artwork, photography, paper type, colors, ink selections, typeface, size, and finish in consultation with clients; creates design concepts and produces or edits layouts, illustrations, web page design, and other electronic media; may monitor project costs.
- Hires and trains staff; assigns work and evaluates staff performance; monitors and tracks projects to assure quality production and conformance to client specifications and technical standards; establishes unit goals, priorities, policies, procedures, and standards; coordinates unit activities with other operations; orders and supervises inventory of supplies.
- Researches, recommends, and incorporates new software and hardware and trains staff and customers in its use.
35% of Time the Graphics Design Supervisor
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Graphics Design Supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents in these positions work on a computer for up to seven hours a day.
Not applicable for Graphics Design Supervisor
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.