Job Standard for Graphics Designer, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Graphics Designer, Senior Manager Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75141
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Publications & Graphics
To perform professional graphic design and art work for camera ready printed material; to provide consultation in graphic design; perform related work.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, plus 5 years professional experience, including 1 year of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles including design software to involved in producing graphic art and visual materials for promotions, advertisements, films, packaging and informative and instructional material through a variety of media outlets.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices. Ability to make decisions about scheduling, coverage and and workload distribution to maximize efficiency and productivity
- Demonstrated ability to follow up on multiple priorities simultaneously to accomplish all tasks without sacrificing quality.
60 % of Time Graphics Designer, Senior Manager will:
- Assist with annual budget development
- Plan and prepare promotional materials, inspect layouts and copy and edit scripts.
- Generate and manipulate graphic images, animations, sound, text and video into consolidated and seamless multimedia programs.
- Must remain current in knowledge of technological advances in the field and be able to identify areas of use in the organization.
- Confer with clients to determine needs.
- Follow university branding requirements and policy. Examine marketing materials to ensure compliance with policies or regulations.
- Collaborate with others to develop or refine designs
- Design layout of art or product exhibits, displays, or promotional materials.
- Come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem
- Manage department processes, priorities and design and coordinate training for new employees (both students and full time)
35% of Time Graphics Designer, Senior Manager:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Graphics Designer, Senior Manager:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Travel for this position is required
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.