Job Standard for Graphics Designer
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Graphics Designer Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75281
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Publications & Graphics
To perform professional graphic design and art work for camera ready printed material; to provide consultation in graphic design; perform related work.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, plus 2 years professional experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles including design software to involved in producing graphic art and visual materials for promotions, advertisements, films, packaging and informative and instructional material through a variety of media outlets.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Ability to think creatively in developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
60 % of Time Graphics Designer will:
- Generate and manipulate graphic images, animations, sound, text and video into consolidated and seamless multimedia programs.
- Must remain current in knowledge of technological advances in the field and be able to identify areas of use in the organization.
- Confer with clients to determine needs.
- Follow university branding requirements and policy
- Collaborate with others to develop or refine designs
- Design layout of art or product exhibits, displays, or promotional materials.
- Come up with unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem
35% of Time Graphics Designer:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Graphics Designer:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Travel for this position is required
Graphics Designer, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.