Job Standard for Guest Services, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
Guest Services, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75415
- Pay Grade: P5
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Performing Arts
- Function: Venue Services
Supervise box office operations, manage events using computerized ticketing software, planning, ordering, distributing and accounting for ticket sales, maintain seating plans and work with concert promoters. Manage Box Office and Guest Services staff.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience or equivalent professional experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated ability to work with difficult people including promoters, staff and patrons while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize tasks and multi-task in a busy environment while maintaining a courteous and professional attitude.
- Supervisor experience; proven ability to hire, train and manage staff to provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate with others.
- Working knowledge and good understanding of accounting and bookkeeping practices and ADA policies and procedures.
- Ability to interpret and enforce University, Venue and box office policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of electronic event ticketing software and box office operations.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat Reader and email software. Strong ability to learn new software and explore new applications of existing software.
- Availability to work nights and weekends as needed.
60% of Time the Guest Services, Manager must:
- Performance of all duties related to ticketing including, but not limited to, sales, exchanges and refunds. Resolution of ticketing problems and customer complaints.
- Assistance in hiring, training and supervising new ticket sellers.
- Daily reconciliation of cash/credit sales and production of bank deposits when necessary.
- Complete show set-up information and submit to automated ticket software vendor.
- Assist in the development and implementation of customer service standards and best practices in regard to all aspects of a patron’s experience
- Maintain knowledge of current/upcoming events and marketing department promotions.
- Maintain positive relationships with promoters, customers, venue personnel, campus community, vendors and others
35% of Time the Guest Services, Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Guest Services, Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or up to 30 pounds amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
The employee in this position must be able to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
May be required to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.