Job Standard for Health Educator
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Health Educator Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75359
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Health Education
Provide and manage health education programs for the university. Collect and analyze data to identify community needs prior to planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 2 years’ experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing for others to understand
- Knowledge of alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral and visual media
- Good knowledge of: principles and methods for curriculum and training design; structure and content of the English language; administrative and clerical procedures.
- Experience: talking to others to convey information effectively; using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions.
60 % of Time Health Educator will:
- Develop and present health education and promotion programs; training workshops, conferences and school or community presentations.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with agencies and organizations interested in public health care.
- Prepare and distribute health education materials
- Supervise professional and technical staff in implementing health programs, objectives and goals.
- Communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources.
35% of Time Health Educator:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Health Educator:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Health Educator
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.