Job Standard for Health IT/HIPAA Administrator
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Health IT/HIPAA Administrator Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code:
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Health Care Administration
Manages, troubleshoots, and updates all the electronic medical records system for patients. Leads all the efforts for ensuring HIPAA compliance for security, backup, and protection of all personal information in the database.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical skills
- Ability to weigh business risks and enforce appropriate information security measures
- In-depth knowledge of the HIPAA Security Rule and other government technology laws
- Must possess a high degree of integrity and trust along with the ability to work independently
- Good knowledge of: circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software.
- Experience: using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
60 % of Time Health IT/HIPAA Administrator will:
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Responsible for implementing, managing, and enforcing information security directives as mandated by HIPAA
- Ensure the ongoing integration of information security with business strategies and requirements
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database
- Develop computer or information security policies or procedures
- Protect the security of medical records to ensure confidentiality is maintained
35% of Time Health IT/HIPAA Administrator:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Health IT/HIPAA Administrator:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.