Job Standard for HPC Systems Engineer 2
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
HPC Systems Engineer 2 Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75478
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: IT Systems
This position will provide support for the campus research community in the area of high performance computing. The position is responsible for server administration, evaluation, planning, configuration, installing, deployment, tuning and troubleshooting multiple large scale clustered / highly available HPC environments located in Boise and within the Collaborative Computing Center (C3) at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) in Idaho Falls, ID. Occasional travel to INL in Idaho Falls for equipment maintenance and refreshes is required. On-call rotations may be required.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 5 years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong technical skills in the construction and operations of High Performance Computing Cluster servers.
- Strong technical skills including knowledge of cluster management software and administrative processes.
- Ability to deeply understand application functionality and technical documentation required.
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively work on and prioritize concurrent projects.
- Ability to perform basic Unix/Linux system administration and proficiency in a high level programming language such as C and C++.
- Ability to develop customized scripts/procedures for routine administration tasks.
- Experience in managing/administering Linux and Windows server environments for scientific computing.
60% of Time the HPC Systems Engineer 2 must:
- Supports and administers production systems used by researchers and Research Centers.
- Provides technical leadership/project management for system configuration, implementation, management and user support for both new and existing systems.
- Researches and recommends new functionality for HPC management and administration tools by exploring system-wide impacts, working with functional users to define current and future processes.
- Works with scientific support specialists and assigns tasks and provides oversight as appropriate to HPC engineering team to support scientific researchers who use a broad spectrum of applications from diverse fields.
- Analyzes results of server monitoring and implements changes to improve performance, processing and utilization.
- Proposes, maintains and enforces policies, practices and security procedures.
- Provides break/fix support, setup/installation support, escalation support, and solutions support.
- Collaborate closely with a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, on all aspects of projects.
35% of Time the HPC Systems Engineer 2
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the HPC Systems Engineer 2
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Sample Text: Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
May be required to travel to various locations on and off campus, possibly with overnight stays, for work, training or conferences.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.