Job Standard for HVAC Systems Foreman
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
HVAC Systems Foreman Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06612
- Pay Grade: K
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Skilled Trades
To plan and organize HVAC and mechanical system operations; supervise staff; perform maintenance and operations of HVAC and related building mechanical and high pressure boiler systems; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Good knowledge of: HVAC operations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some positions require a current HVAC journeyman license
- Ability to monitor/assess performance of other individuals, or groups to make improvements or take corrective actions
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repari, and maintenance.
60% of Time the HVAC Systems Foreman must:
- Must have the skills of a journey-level person in HVAC and mechanical systems operations; maintain operational records and logs; and monitor inventories and request supplies and equipment.
- Perform all aspects of HVAC and mechanical systems operations; operation; developing, directing, and performing preventive maintenance of heat plant systems; monitoring building and automation systems for HVAC and fire hazards; making computer commands; monitoring feed and return water pumps, sump and chemical pumps, water softeners, internal and external boiler components, and related electrical systems; maintaining fuel system components; conducting water treatment tests; monitoring and repairing geothermal pumps; maintaining heat exchangers, sand traps, check valves, and pneumatic and automatic piping systems; and assisting other maintenance and crafts staff perform their duties.
- Oversee and direct staff and related daily operational activities in this occupational area. Schedule work; establish and adjust work schedules; evaluate staff performance; complete time sheets, accident reports, and work orders; coordinate work with contractors; train staff in HVAC and mechanical systems operations and maintenance
35% of Time the HVAC Systems Foreman
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the HVAC Systems Foreman
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
These positions involve lifting and carrying items weighing approximately 90 pounds; working in a noisy environment; and bending and stooping. Some night and off-duty callbacks are involved.
Not applicable for HVAC Systems Foreman
Other facility maintenance or professional position
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.