Job Standard for Institutional Research Analyst, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Institutional Research Analyst, Senior Overview
- Category: Professional
- Job Code: 75546
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Field: Academic Programs
- Family: Institutional Research
Institutional Research Analyst (IRA), Senior will extract, analyze, visualize, and describe a variety of institutional data for use internally for academic and financial planning and decision-making. The analyst will focus primarily on analysis and reports to better inform academic and financial planning decision making in the Colleges and Schools under the university’s incentive-based budget model. Will perform user and data-driven research, review and verify data, and develop end-user reports. S/he will develop a broad body of data reports and conduct analytical work, with a particular focus on information needed for decision support, ensuring integrity, timeliness, and appropriate presentation. In addition, the analyst will study and report on the impact of the budget model on various outcomes.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to ensure validity, reliability, consistency, accuracy, and timeliness of all work completed
- Experience developing data models and programming in languages or applications as needed to support the development of reports and analysis to answer strategic, tactical, structured, or unstructured business questions.
- Ability to develop collegial working relationships within the unit and across campus
- Experience reporting and presenting findings to various groups and committees
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate the ability to present and communicate complex technical information, problems and alternative solutions to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff.
- Strong customer service orientation and ability to represent end-user needs.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills.
- The position also requires: a high level of accuracy, extraordinary attention to detail, solid proofreading skills, ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines and adherence to ethical and legal standards in institutional research.
60 % of the Time the Institutional Research Analyst, Senior will:
- Conduct analyses to inform academic and financial planning decision making
- Develop reports, data visualizations, and communications relevant to the budget model.
- Engage in Data Quality, documentation, and process improvement.
- Extracts and combines data from multiple systems for the purposes of reporting and analysis.
- Applies analytical and problem solving skills to address novel questions or issues
- Recommends process improvements, including the use of new technologies.
- Works as needed, with functional area data stewards to align or improve processes
- Assigned as lead or co-lead for projects; defines tasks, coordinates responsibilities, and tracks team progress
- Develop dashboard views of data for use in strategic planning, University performance reporting and monitoring using data visualization tools.
- Attend training and professional conferences as applicable. Serve on committees and workgroups as assigned, participate in professional development and perform other duties as assigned.
35% of Time Institutional Research Analyst, Senior:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Institutional Research Analyst, Senior:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.