Job Standard for Institutional Research, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Institutional Research, Assistant DirectorOverview
- Category: Professional
- Job Code: 75143
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Field: Academic Programs
- Family: Institutional Research
To provide oversight for institutional research reporting and accountability. This involves several levels of reporting, including to the Federal and State governments, as well as other external agencies and initiatives. The Assistant Director will be charged with the design, development, and operation of external and internal reporting. The person in this role will employ high-level technical and analytical skills, including programming in SAS/SQL/etc., define and reine specifications, and generate data, extracts, tables, and reports appropriate for an end user. Be actively involved with data quality efforts and associated interoffice and intra-office collaboration necessary to improve data quality.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of experience or equivalent professional experience, including 3 years managerial experience..
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of institutional data sources, including but not limited to; student records, position control, general ledger, facility inventory, payroll and personnel records
- High level of technical competence, including experience developing data models and programming in languages or applications as needed to support the development of reports and analysis to answer strategic, tactical, structured, or unstructured business questions.
- Ability to organize and sequence complex computer programs and queries.
- Good working knowledge of government rules and regulations including privacy and freedom of information required.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Experience reporting and presenting findings to various groups and committees
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate the ability to present and communicate complex technical information, problems and alternative solutions to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly verbally and in written, numerical, and graphical forms.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills.
- The position also requires: a high level of accuracy, extraordinary attention to detail, solid proofreading skills, ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines and adherence to ethical and legal standards in institutional research.
60 % of the Time the Institutional Research, Assistant Director will:
- Design, develop, and operationalize external reporting and necessary analyses
- Determine data requirements and generate responses for mandated reporting to the federal and state governments and accrediting associations.
- Monitor year-to-year trends in external reports; translate external reports for use by internal audiences as appropriate
- Determine data requirements and generate data for external surveys considered important to the University.
- Determine and implement reporting cycles, soliciting input from stakeholders as needed
- Extract and/or transform information from multiple systems
- Ensure validity, reliability, consistency, accuracy, and timeliness of all submissions
- Attend training and professional conferences as applicable. Serve on committees and workgroups as assigned, participate in professional development and perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise staff; assign projects, manage workload, provide training and identify relevant professional development opportunities and conduct annual evaluations and goal setting.
35% of Time Institutional Research Analyst, Senior:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Institutional Research Analyst, Senior:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.