Job Standard for Instructional Design, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Instructional Design, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75565
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Instructional Services
This position provides strategic vision and leadership through a dynamic program of faculty professional development, instructional design support, and online course/program development for academic faculty and departments to increase the number of online courses for campus-based students as well as online academic programs in the rapidly growing online education programming at Boise State University.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years relevant experience including 1 year managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill building content within a content/learning management system required.
- Experience developing and providing a team based, collaborative instructor training program on online pedagogy is helpful.
- Knowledge of usability/accessibility requirements such as ADA Section 508, universal design strategies in online learning environments, and W3C Web Accessibility Initiative and Guidelines; student identity authentication; and technology issues specific to fully online education.
- Ability to think strategically using creative, common sense approaches and to make timely, prudent, and sound decisions.
- Complex project management conceptual and analytical skills. Ability to prioritize and handle multiple, demanding projects simultaneously.
- Strong knowledge and the ability to apply research-based instructional systems design including needs and task analysis, pedagogical theory, assessment strategies, and best practices for the development of online college level courses/programs.
60% of Time the Instructional Design, Senior Manager must:
- Develop a dynamic program of faculty professional development, instructional design support, online course/program development, and research/innovation support for online education at Boise State.
- Provide essential leadership to and support for the implementation of the Boise State eCampus strategic plan.
- Provide orientation and training to department chairs relative to design, delivery, and assessment strategies for continuous improvement of programs and courses.
- Develop, enhance, and maintain excellent relationships with stakeholders.
- Fulfill all supervisory responsibilities: clearly define work responsibilities and needed skills to be successful when writing job descriptions
- Work with academic departments developing and offering online courses, degree, and certificate programs to provide expertise in course design quality practices and ensure adequate support for quality standards.
- Flexibility in adapting to a fast-changing environment to meet the needs of the department and the priorities of the university. Work with supervisor to periodically review, update, and modify job description as needed.
- Collaborate with academic units and their leadership to develop high quality, instructionally sound online courses based on research and evidence-based practices.
35% of Time the Instructional Design, Senior Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Instructional Design, Senior Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Instructional Design, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.