Job Standard for Instructional Design Specialist
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Instructional Design Specialist Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75008
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Instructional Services
The Instructional Design Specialist supports student success through working with faculty in course design consultation, guided implementation of new teaching strategies and assessment methods, and supporting the use of technology to enhance learning.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 2 years relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with and knowledge of instructional design principles and strategies.
- Experience with technical tools and platforms used for instruction, including course management systems and classroom technologies.
- Basic understanding of the tenets of inclusive teaching
- Ability to be both a collaborative team member and to work independently
- Strong verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Effective facilitation and consultation skills
- Experience in multimedia production, videography, visual design or any related areas or equivalent experiences.
60 % of Time Instructional Design Specialist will:
- Serve as a consultant to faculty with regard to course design, development of program and course level assessments, and assessment methods and tools to achieve student learning outcomes.
- Assist in the design and implementation of faculty development offerings ranging from self-service tutorials, to workshops and webinars, to intra-department engagements, to consultation offerings.
- Contribute to communication of ideas to faculty, and provide faculty with access to information.
35% of Time Instructional Design Specialist:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Instructional Design Specialist:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.