Job Standard for Instructional Specialist, Principal
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Instructional Specialist, Principal Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75699
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Principal
- Family: Academic Programs
- Function: Instructional Services
Provide demonstrated expertise and team leadership in the design, development, revision, management, and support of online courses and programs across the curriculum working directly with faculty to provide pedagogical and instructional design consultation to support effective and innovative delivery of academic credit courses to online students.
Recognized master in professional discipline with significant impact and influence on campus policy and program development. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new products, processes, standards or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads projects of critical importance to the campus; these projects carry substantial consequences of success or failure. Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Problems faced are frequently complex and multidimensional, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the organization.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 8 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expertly apply ID knowledge and principles in online course design and delivery practices, techniques and technology solutions. Provide team leadership, expertise, and creativity to support the development and delivery of online courses.
- Prioritize and handle multiple, complex, demanding projects simultaneously
- Project management skills demonstrating strong conceptual and analytical skills, planning abilities, and sound judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and maintain positive, collaborative, respect-based relationships with co-workers, customers, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to take direction, remain open and amenable to instruction, and quickly acquire/learn/share new knowledge/skills when needed.
60% of Time the Instructional Specialist, Principal must:
- Assist administrators and faculty with identifying current instructional issues and implementing online strategies to address issues and improve course effectiveness.
- Manage the design and development of online courses consistent with established departmental processes and procedures and using effective time/task management strategies to complete projects.
- Actively participates in Quality Matters (QM) reviews as assigned
- Oversee, manage and supervise changes to the eCampus Course Design and Development Seminar
- Work closely with members of the Production Team to facilitate the timely development and quality review of online courses.
- Provide team leadership, expertise, and creativity to support the development and delivery of online courses.
- Direct and monitor daily operations of projects in order for timelines and quality to be met
- Proactively research and share expertise, information, resources, new technologies and instructional design/online education best practices with manager and, when assigned, with colleagues to enable team members to accomplish individual and group goals.
35% of Time the Instructional Specialist, Principal
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Instructional Specialist, Principal
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Instructional Specialist, Principal
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.