Job Standard for International Student Admissions Coordinator
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
International Student Admissions Coordinator Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 1166
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Student Services
- Function: Recruitment & Admissions
To coordinate international student admissions for undergraduate and graduate programs; provide student advising and assistance; ensure admissions procedures comply with immigration laws and regulations; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Experience: researching, interpreting, and applying policies and procedures relating to admission requirements; using oral communication skills to explain information; using computerized records systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for providing customer and personal services
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively so others will understand
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish work
60% of Time the International Student Admissions Coordinator must:
- Evaluates international educational credentials to determine admissibility of applicants and transfer of credits toward core requirements; researches international educational guidelines to determine equivalency to U.S. high school, college transfer, or university graduate requirements; converts international grading systems; verifies international colleges and universities are accredited in their own countries; approves final admission for undergraduate students; coordinates international student admission process with Graduate Admissions for master’s degree candidates; evaluates educational credentials to determine eligibility for graduate level students; issues immigration forms to undergraduate and graduate students and assists them in applying for student visa; advises enrolled international students in technical aspects of immigration regulations; provides verification of enrollment to international government agencies; assists with international student orientation and provides information regarding university policies and immigration laws and regulations; schedules English proficiency exams and interprets exam results and writing samples to advise students of appropriate English class placement; monitors and advises students; serves as a liaison between students and community by arranging appropriate contacts for interviews, public speaking engagements and translators; selects recipients of scholarships and coordinates awards process; develops informational materials regarding international student admissions; responds to inquiries from prospective students addressing special circumstances; compiles data and prepares regular and special reports; reviews enrollment and statistical reports for accuracy; revises and updates international student admissions section of university catalog.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures and monitors for compliance with immigration laws and regulations; serves as principal contact regarding immigration laws and regulations involving visa status requirements and restrictions; interprets and explains complex immigration regulations and university admissions policies regarding international students; reviews and verifies application materials, test scores and financial information to ensure compliance with immigration requirements; approves student eligibility for on-campus employment in accordance with immigration requirements.
35% of Time the International Student Admissions Coordinator
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the International Student Admissions Coordinator
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for International Student Admissions Coordinator
Other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.