Job Standard for IT Help Desk, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
IT Help Desk, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75472
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Customer Care
Provide technical and personnel leadership of client support for first tier support of all OIT and learning technology solutions. Guide and lead the complexities of a staff of over 60 employees that work in 7 locations from 7 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week. Includes all of the human resources, training, management, technology, customer support and training.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of technology management experience including 1 year supervisory experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Training in information technology concepts.
- Experience in installing, configuring, networking and troubleshooting Desktop Operating systems and Office applications.
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships including clear communication skills, planning, organization and setting priorities.
- Experience in creating documentation.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication. As OIT transitions into self-service and web support, the ability to give clear written instructions has become more important.
- Ability to make decisions about scheduling, coverage and call distribution are critical to the success of Customer Care. Significant responsibility for decisions and final results typically affect the entire organization unit.
- Demonstrated ability to follow up on multiple priorities simultaneously to accomplish all tasks without sacrificing quality. Ability to assess the information provided by Help Desk in troubleshooting and determining source of problem; either software or hardware.
- Ability to prioritization workload is critical to the productivity of TSS and often departments.
- IT service management, leadership, efficiency and support certifications will be sought as part of this position.
60% of Time the IT Help Desk, Senior Manager must:
- Customer Relationship Management: Responsible to monitor performance and quality of the team’s performance and customer interactions. All tickets are monitored for process compliance and adherence to our stated service goals. This position meets regularly with key stakeholders to ensure we are meeting department needs.
- Personnel Management: Responsible to manage, to hire, supervise and schedule student and full time employees of the help desk, service desk, refresh, classroom support, event management and print support teams.
- Support: Ensure the team is providing prompt and quality service to University employees, students, alumni, guests and vendors.
- This position is responsible for the successful delivery of the OIT services that involve checkout to students (approximately 11,000 checkout per year), printing (2.5 million pages annual) and event management. They work in collaboration with other customer care managers to deliver classroom support and pedagogical computing.
- Design and implement work schedule two weeks at a time allowing for exceptions of special requests, vacations and classes. This also involves scheduling the emergency and backup phone coverage.
- Manage role coverage issues when students and employees are sick or otherwise indisposed, or during times when workload needs to be shuffled amongst the staff.
- Directly supervise student employees as they work with the campus. Indirectly supervise and coach full time employees on customer service, phone and walk-in interactions, communications and knowledge management issues. This position is responsible for monitoring the phones and student employees for customer satisfaction, proper process adherence and quality assurance.
- Training: This position also is responsible for training new full time and student employees. The position will work to be sure our policies, practices and procedures are known as well as help all employees become part of the Customer Care team.
- Successfully manage, document, design and assign projects within Tier 1. Successfully manage and direct application management and systems that pertain to the zones.
- Serve as the primary backup for Customer Care management when they are out of the office for an extended period or otherwise indisposed. Backup and support the other managers.
- Position is responsible for developing budgetary needs for tier 1. Position makes recommendations on salary and will provide information on approximately one million dollars’ worth of purchases and salary annually.
35% of Time the IT Help Desk, Senior Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the IT Help Desk, Senior Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.