Job Standard for IT Information Security Analyst 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
IT Information Security Analyst 1 Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75283
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: IT Security
This position conducts vulnerability scans and penetration tests on campus systems, operates and monitors network and host-based intrusion detection/prevention systems, recommends security solutions, advises on systems and application-level security configurations, and investigates and mitigates security risks as required..
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience or equivalent professional experience. Prefer degree concentration in: Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Technical Writing or Business.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Prefer understanding and background with Intrusion Detection Systems and SIEM products.
- Prefer background in Incident Response.
- Prefer understanding and background with Firewalls and Networking.
- Knowledge and understanding of application security.
- Knowledge and/or experience in evaluation of security setup to meet business needs.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to present and explain complex technical topics, problems, alternative solutions to others.
- Interpreting Vulnerability Assessments.
- Background in multiple Operating Systems,
60% of Time the IT Information Security Analyst 1 must:
- Conduct or coordinate vulnerability scans, and penetration tests on campus systems, document findings, and recommend risk mitigation strategies.
- Operate, administer and monitor network and host-based intrusion detection/prevention systems
- Assist other technical support staff in identifying and implementing appropriate security safeguards, including patch application and anti-malware strategies.
- Analyze network traffic, intrusion attempts, activity logs, and system alerts for trends, anomalies, and potential security breaches.
- Develop scripts, tools, and procedures to automate scans, assessments, and other monitoring and discovery activities.
35% of Time the IT Information Security Analyst 1
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the IT Information Security Analyst 1
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
IT Information Security Analyst 2
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.