Job Standard for IT Information Systems Technician
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
IT Information Systems Technician Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 01663
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Business Systems Analysis & Support
To install, maintain, and troubleshoot standard PC hardware and software; resolve the majority of user and system problems; perform related work
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Experience: evaluating and resolving computer, system, and user problems including compatibility conflicts, application operations, hardware malfunctions, and telecommunications problems; installing and maintaining computer hardware, software, and peripherals in the network and/or multi-platform environment; providing one-to-one and small group IT training; using two or more applications software to support users.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Good knowledge of help desk software
- Experience setting up and performing system administration
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
60% of Time the IT Information Systems Technician must:
- This position requires an in-depth understanding of PC hardware, peripherals, devices, and software applications to independently install, maintain, and trouble-shoot PC hardware/software and resolve the majority of user and system problems. These positions reside in a dedicated information support center or are stationed at decentralized locations.
- Incumbents are developing an understanding of local-and wide-area networks and assist senior staff in the identification and resolution of network operating problems. Incumbents may perform network infrastructure and maintenance tasks and may perform LAN administration and maintenance tasks. Some may perform first-tier user support functions.
- Tests and installs specific client applications and/or reports using available software packages and fourth generation languages; installs, tests, troubleshoots, and maintains hardware and software products; assists in the installation of network infrastructure equipment; implements backup and recovery procedures; maintain service logs; assists in monitoring and troubleshooting of LAN and WAN system performance and resolving communications and networking problems; monitors problem/change activities and coordinates involvement of technical and client staff and vendors to ensure effective implementation of new or enhanced systems and resolution of user problems; maintains on-line or manual trouble logs and resolves client requests; provide training to users on hardware and software applications. May define database standards and procedures; prepare information and reports regarding help desk service activities; perform LAN administration functions; make recommendations to clients for future hardware or software additions or enhancements.
35% of Time the IT Information Systems Technician
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the IT Information Systems Technician
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for IT Information Systems Technician
Other Professional positions, IT Programmer, Analyst
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.