Job Standard for IT Operations and Support Technician
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
IT Operations and Support Technician Overview
- Work Type: Classified
- Job Code: 01707
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: IT Systems
To provide on-going technical support and training on hardware and software resources for end-users; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Some knowledge of computer trends, software, capabilities, and terminology; computer hardware and software installation, and troubleshooting. Experience identifying and resolving computer and system problems including compatibility conflicts, application operations, and hardware malfunctions; supporting users in the use of application software; communicating and coordinating with vendors, users, and other IT staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to analyze problems or malfunctions to ensure timely resolution
- Ability to read and understand technical material
60% of Time the IT Operations and Support Technician must:
- Provide standard and non-standard technical support to end-users in response to specific requests. Utilizes established operating procedures to review and resolve end-user technology issues; troubleshoots and resolves standard and non-standard hardware and software problems.
- Provide training on hardware and software for end-users; performs and supports testing and documentation activities. Documents operational problems; communicates with vendors, users, and other IT staff.
- Participate in the coordination of corrective actions as appropriate, document problems and their resolution, and ensure the operational integrity of all changes to the operating environment. May work independently or as part of a team, with general supervision.
35% of Time the IT Operations and Support Technician
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the IT Operations and Support Technician
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
IT Information Systems Technician, IT Production Specialist, IT Systems Operator
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.