Job Standard for IT Technical Operations, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
IT Technical Operations, Senior Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75549
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Cloud Infrastructure Services
Responsible for the overall function of the University’s enterprise applications and databases, whether they are located on-premise or in the cloud. Set the initiatives and manage the staff that maintain secure operations within their respective technical domains.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. .
Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of experience in computational science support or equivalent, plus 1 year of managerial experience. BS or MS in Computational Science or Computer Science.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of Server OS and Server networking.
- Experience in the deployment and management of an enterprise storage and server-based systems.
- Skilled in interpersonal relationships, teaching, planning and communication.
- Substantial knowledge of microprocessor hardware including processors, board components, and peripherals.
- Experience in developing and delivering training in application software and microprocessor systems.
- Training in Information Technology concepts.
- Experience in managing staff and/or teams.
- Experience designing, implementing, optimizing and administering enterprise applications and database.
- Managing and prioritizing the efforts of application and database administrators to ensure maximum uptime and minimal service disruption for enterprise applications and databases. Recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating team members.
- Collaborating with technical teams, leadership, business owners, community partners and value added resellers.
- Problem solving, decision making and sound judgment.
- Overseeing tactical responses to cyber security events.
- Acknowledge the culture and pace of change that occurs at Boise State and a willingness to influence and create incremental change over time.
- Possess AWS (CSA) Certified Solutions Architect – Associate certification.
60 % of Time IT Technical Operations, Senior Manager will:
- Responsible for the infrastructure, configuration, scaling and deployment of an enterprise server-based computing system. Monitors network operations and performance to diagnose problems and develop stable and reliable server and storage platforms.
- Create operational procedures for server and storage administration University-wide
- Manage the efforts of the team to ensure maximum uptime and minimal service disruption for the University’s enterprise applications and databases; establish and manage priorities for the team.
- Responsible for supervision of Systems Engineer and Administrator professionals, the development and management of server projects, the assigning of project tasks and the monitoring of timeline and project milestones.
- Responsible for the coordination of projects with end users to facilitate maintenance, conversions, upgrades and the installation of enterprise level storage and computing solutions such as NetApp, Cisco UCS, Dell, Microsoft and Linux.
- Research, recommend and implement technologies that further the goal of broadly available, easily accessible and secure network communications.
- Design, implement, optimize and administer Amazon Web Services.
- Manage employee recruiting, hiring, retention and performance.
- Manage, maintain and optimize vendor and community relationships to the benefit of Boise State.
35% of Time IT Technical Operations, Senior Manager:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time IT Technical Operations, Senior Manager:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Server Equipment Maintenance – Occasionally lifting and racking (or un-racking) equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasionally working in a server control room in an environment with loud background noise.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.