Job Standard for Lab Instructor
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Lab Instructor Overview
- Work Type: Faculty
- Job Code: 70251
- Pay Grade: EX
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Lab Instructor
This position teaches undergraduate laboratories and provides supplemental instruction in support of undergraduate lab and lecture courses
A lecturer/instructor is a non-tenure-track teaching position.
Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry and college teaching experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Planning and organization
- Attention to detail.
- Good working knowledge of general and organic chemistry
- Lab skills for all techniques that may be used/taught in labs
- General laboratory equipment skills.
- Ability to enforce the safety rules
60% of Time the Lab Instructor must:
- Teaches laboratory sections, may vary each semester
- Teaching duties include a brief discussion of lab safety, lab procedures and lab equipment to be used.
- Responsible for grading of all submitted lab reports and the maintenance of course sites for posting grades.
- Expected to follow a grading rubric for each course.
35% of Time the Lab Instructor
Sample Text: Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Lab Instructor
Sample Text: Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection. May include marginally unsafe and/or unpleasant conditions. Must have the ability and is required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.
Not applicable for Lab Instructor
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.