Job Standard for Lab Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Lab Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75800
- Pay Grade: P6
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Lab Instruction
The daily operation, maintenance, as well as experimental design and set-up, data acquisition, analysis, and interpretation. This position oversees and provides direction for technical support for labs.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years of relevant experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to assist with grant writing and manuscript preparation
- Possess the appropriate background in experimental design and analysis
- Interest, experience, and/or ability to promote cultural competency and/or diversity
- Knowledge of computer lab management and maintenance
- Experience and proven success in leading the management and support of instructional labs
60% of Time the Lab Manager must:
- Daily Management: The routine operation, maintenance, and quality control, as well experimental design & set-up, data acquisition, analysis, and interpretation
- Fiscal Management: Responsible for fiscal management of facility with supervisor oversight
- Research Management: Expected to contribute to team research efforts
- Assisting PI’s: Grant writing and manuscript preparation
- Teaching workshops, schedule and organize lab training sessions for lab instructors
- Direct the implementation and testing of laboratory activities
35% of Time the Lab Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Lab Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Lab Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.