Job Standard for Laboratory Aide
View in Google Docs/Download
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Laboratory Aide Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 95013
- Pay Grade: F
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
To support smooth and efficient operation of teaching, research or medical laboratory
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Basic math, written and oral skills
High School graduate or GED
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to listen to and understand information and directions presented through spoken words
- Ability to communicate information so others will understand
- Ability to follow the directions of higher level staff
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner
60 % of Time Laboratory Aide will:
- Performs routine cleaning, sterilizing and other light housekeeping tasks
- Completes tasks under the direct supervision of an administrative superior
- Assure that equipment, glassware, and laboratory work areas are clean and orderly
- Respond to directions and feedback given by supervisor on a daily basis
35% of Time Laboratory Aide:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Laboratory Aide:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
No travel required for Laboratory Aide
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.