Job Standard for Laboratory Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name, ID# and PCN#.
Laboratory Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 95014
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Research & Laboratory
- Function: Research & Lab Support
To support instructors/researchers in a teaching, research, or medical lab
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet the needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education performing related work
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of lab procedures and protocols
- Knowledge and understanding of chemistry, and biology
- Ability to communicate information in writing and speaking so others will understand
- Ability to learn software used in lab
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner
60 % of Time Laboratory Assistant will:
- Opens and closes lab
- Performs routine maintenance and custodial lab duties
- Performs routine chemical and biology exams and procedures
- Insures software is up and running, conducts simple upgrades
- Trains instructors and students on lab equipment, procedures, and software
- Assists students in use of software
35% of Time Laboratory Assistant:
- Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Laboratory Assistant:
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
No travel required for Laboratory Assistant
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.