Job Standard for Landscape Foreman
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Landscape Foreman Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06686
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Supervisor 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Landscape
Under general direction, plan, organize, supervise, and perform landscaping and grounds maintenance work; perform related work.
Provides immediate supervision to a unit or group of operational or technical employees. A portion of time may be spent performing individual tasks related to the unit; however, supervisory activities must constitute a primary part of the job. Supervises unit operations to ensure compliance with departmental or campus policies, procedures, and defined internal controls. Ensures accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental standards and procedures.
Considerable knowledge of: landscaping and grounds maintenance and related safety practices
Good knowledge of: plant and soil types; horticulture and professional landscaping practices
Some knowledge of: supervisory practices; sprinkler system layout and design
Experience: operating and maintaining equipment and hand and power tools; mixing and using landscape chemicals; installing and maintaining sprinkler systems; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by the Division of Human Resources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to establish and enforce procedures and work standards that will ensure adequate performance and personnel safety
- Ability to communicate and convey information effectively
60% of Time the Landscape Foreman must:
- In charge of landscaping and grounds maintenance at landscaping installations of relatively smaller size than a Landscape Superintendent. The Foreman is the supervisor who has day-to-day responsibility for landscaping maintenance. Plan and design landscaping and grounds maintenance activities; insure work is accomplished; troubleshoot problem areas of grounds maintenance; requisition and inventory tools, supplies, and equipment; organize budget data; and insure safety practices are followed.
- In addition to performing the Landscaping Technician, Senior duties, incumbents may supervise daily operations of crews including interviewing and hiring staff and evaluating performance
35% of Time the Landscape Foreman
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Landscape Foreman
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents may lift and carry items weighing approximately 50 pounds, and bend, stoop, and shovel in all types of weather.
Not applicable for Landscape Foreman
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.