Job Standard for Landscape Technician
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Landscape Technician Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06684
- Pay Grade: E
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Landscape
Under supervision, to do routine gardening, general landscaping and grounds maintenance work; may instruct, lead, or supervise temporary workers; operate and maintain related equipment; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
At least six months or one season performing related work. Home yard work is not qualifying experience unless it is for a very large and detailed landscape/grounds; OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by the Division of Human Resources.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Some positions may require: A valid Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in landscaping and grounds maintenance
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
60% of Time the Landscape Technician must:
- Maintains landscaping around offices, parks, and recreation areas; seeds or sods lawns; prepare areas for planting trees, bushes, and flowers; mows and trims grass; removes clippings, leaves, and debris from grounds area; prunes trees and bushes using hand and power tools; lays out, installs, and repairs sprinkler or other irrigation and watering systems; weeds and fertilizes; applies pesticides and herbicides; patches asphalt in road and parking areas; repairs concrete or assists in pouring and finishing concrete areas; instructs others in proper planting and caring of grounds areas; schedules work crew time; may operate a greenhouse to raise flowers and plants; removes snow and ice from parking lots, walkways, and steps; repairs and paints picnic and playground equipment; operates and maintains all types of grounds keeping equipment; schedules use of equipment as necessary; follows and teaches safe practices when using equipment and chemicals
- Trains assistants; keeps records; may work with sprinkler system installations and maintenance and/or provide work direction to staff as a lead worker.
35% of Time the Landscape Technician
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Landscape Technician
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents lift and carry items weighing approximately 50 pounds, and bend, stoop, and shovel in all types of weather.
Not applicable for Landscape Technician
Landscape Technician, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.