Job Standard for Learning Technology Solutions, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Learning Technology Solutions, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75667
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Learning Technology Solutions
Position is responsible for assisting with the coordination, planning and communication for all aspects of the Learning Technologies for the Office of Information Technology. Aspects include system maintenance and upgrades, user support, process improvement, integration of third party products, training and development. The Assistant Director will be instrumental in the planning and execution throughout instructional technology product life cycles, including: gathering and prioritizing requirements, helping ensure alignment of the instructional technology infrastructure with pedagogical effectiveness and institutional strategy, defining the vision, process improvement analysis and supervising LMS Support Specialists.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or education and a minimum of 8 years work experience in the same type of work and 3 years supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in coordinating multiple organizational and/or systems projects.
- Ability to understand and verbalize the need for information related to daily operations or strategic planning and translate into analysis, requirements or project plans.
- Experience working with both functional and technical users to define business needs and process changes.
- Solid understanding of system implementation life cycle. Solid understanding of project management principles and governance.
- Ability to set priorities and follow project schedules. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organizational, written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to work with and communicate with people of various knowledge levels from the very technical to the casual user.
- Experience with an LMS such as Blackboard, Desire2Learn, Moodle or Sakai. Ability to develop strategic direction of LMS platform
- Experience in a higher education or government organization working with enterprise systems and business processes.
- General understanding of data security and data privacy concerns related to student information.
- Experience in coordinating training and documentation for system end users on complex topics.
60% of Time the Learning Tech. Solutions, Assistant Director must:
- Play a lead role in managing and coordinating the entire learning technologies product portfolio from strategic to tactical activities.
- Help define the learning technology ecosystem strategy and roadmap.
- Ensure that defined processes are being managed, tracked, analyzed for improvement and properly updated.
- Review and develop functional requirements where needed for assigned projects.
- Work with campus areas to ensure that requirements and expectations are complete, clear and understood. Perform project management, as needed.
- Collaborate with instructional design staff and others to coordinate support and training for faculty, staff and end users, as needed.
- Ensure that defined projects are being managed, tracked and properly updated.
- Supervise Blackboard Support Specialists, including hiring, performance evaluations, scheduling, time approval, managing priorities, etc.
- Assist with the management and allocation of Learning Technology Solutions budget.
35% of Time the Learning Tech. Solutions, Assistant Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Learning Tech. Solutions, Assistant Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Visual Requirement – Enough to read computer screen and written documentation and procedures.
(Examples: Able to see and read computer screens; detect color coding, read fine print, and/or normal type size print).
Hearing Requirement – Enough to listen to normal conversation in person and on the phone.
(Examples: able to detect specific noises, proper equipment operation; understand what clients are saying in normal conversation).
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Learning Technology Solutions, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business needs, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.