Job Standard for Legal Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Legal Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 05910
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Legal
To review legal cases, identify and research issues and draft legal documents; maintain computerized legal case system; coordinate the administrative activities of the legal office; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Good knowledge of: legal research methods; the court system and procedures; legal ethics.
Experience: interpreting and analyzing judicial decisions and statutes; identifying and preparing appropriate legal documents; applying facts to case law in analysis and briefs; drafting legal documents and related correspondence; using a tickler system and tracking documents on a computerized database. Some positions may require completion of a Certified Paralegal Program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and training methods.
- Experience preparing and filing pleadings, motions, and orders.
- Experience preparing and answering discovery requests, preparing affidavits, and case management of litigation files.
60% of Time the Legal Assistant must:
- Analyzes case documents, identifies legal issues, and drafts legal briefs, pleadings and motions; identifies, researches and analyzes case law, statutes and legislative history regarding pertinent legal issues to determine case relevancy; researches various legal issues and drafts outlines for attorney use in preparing presentations; identifies legal causes of action and determines the existence of defenses available; drafts and reviews legal documents; develops query and uses WESTLAW, law library, and legislative library to research federal and state laws and rules, court decisions, legal periodicals, and administrative rules.
- Assists data processing in designing, modifying and interfacing computerized database system of legal cases; researches, reviews and indexes all department related Supreme Court decisions, legal citations and other pertinent court decisions for inclusion into computerized data bank; develops, maintains and modifies instruction manual; establishes and maintains a computerized database system; establishes and maintains computerized data base of briefs filed by attorneys.
- Researches and responds to inquiries from clients, interested parties, attorneys, judicial and department staff regarding status of cases, legal processes, clarification of regulations and state statutes; opens, maintains, tracks and closes case files; reviews cases for deadlines and procedural compliance, completeness and accuracy; identifies, investigates and develops solutions to problems; provides information on procedural options; determines jurisdiction and files pleadings with appropriate state and federal courts; notifies parties of actions taken and legal documents filed; arranges for service of legal documents; compiles and prepares reports of case data; maintains law library; monitors, reviews, and tracks proposed and enacted legislation; takes notes during trial to be used in preparing cross-examination and closing arguments.
- Hires, trains and directs staff and evaluates their performance; provides legal training.
35% of Time the Legal Assistant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Legal Assistant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Legal Assistant
Other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.