Job Standard for Library Assistant 2
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Library Assistant 2 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 02929
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Library
- Function: Library
To perform paraprofessional library work involving service to patrons, or maintenance of library collection and database; or acquisitions, cataloging and classification; or inter-library loan; to provide lead work in a specialized library function; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Good knowledge of: current library organization, terminology and functions. Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
Experience: using and applying bibliographic and other library information sources, in printed and computerized format; using a bibliographic utility or in-house automated library system to perform acquisitions, cataloging or serials work; compiling and analyzing information and writing a summary in a work setting; using computer applications software.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Ability to use systems such as word processing and managing files and records, adhering to administrative and clerical standards.
60% of Time the Library Assistant 2 must:
- Perform paraprofessional library work usually within a specialized library function involving patron services or technical services. Positions have a lead work role with students, volunteer, or clerical staff. Interviews/questions patrons to identify, analyze and respond to information needs; directs and instructs users; interprets, applies and explains library policies and procedures; may authorize reduction or cancellation of fines, bills, or administrative holds; may disapprove patron’s library use.
- Performs complex online searching of bibliographic databases related to collection and database maintenance; maintains specialized collections; analyzes, organizes, describes and indexes materials; coordinates inventory of the collection; may verify classification and acquisition information and determines information and format for cards, pockets and labels for new books and non-book items; creates and maintains databases; downloads MARC bibliographic records; may coordinate bindery operations.
- Performs complex online searching of bibliographic databases related to acquisitions and cataloging; performs online ordering and enters information into accounting and ordering system; contacts publishers and vendors to resolve order problems; performs original cataloging; creates cataloging descriptions; does authority work; performs and oversees copy cataloging, solves problems referred by subordinates.
- Accepts requests, gathers additional clarifying information from patrons; performs complex online searching; verifies accuracy of cited references; identifies and selects locations for obtaining items; creates and sends requests. May interact with other libraries; approves payment of loan and photocopy fees.
- Coordinates and directs staff; may interview and hire staff; schedules, assigns and evaluates staff; drafts and maintains training and procedural manuals; provides technical assistance and resolves problems/complaints.
35% of Time the Library Assistant 2
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Library Assistant 2
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Library Assistant 2
Library Assistant 3
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.