Job Standard for Library Assistant 3
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Library Assistant 3 Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 02928
- Pay Grade: I
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Library
- Function: Library
To perform specialized library work in specific area(s) involving patron or technical services or specialized collections; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Experience in at least two of the following areas: bibliographic search strategies; library classification schemes and descriptive cataloging standards; a variety of bibliographic sources and reference tools used in cataloging and acquisitions; library organization, services, technical service practices and terminology; or library automation.
Experience: coordinating, planning, and organizing library activities; using computer applications software; training or instructing others in library practices and procedures; compiling and analyzing information, and writing reports or procedures in a library work setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Experience conducting reference interviews to determine information needs
- Experience in complex Technical Services work such as original cataloging, vendor selection, or ordering and receiving library materials, etc.
- Some knowledge of Government Documents and the SDocs classification scheme
60% of Time the Library Assistant 3 must:
- Perform specialized library work such as developing projects involving bibliographic research and/or indexing or performing original cataloging in a variety of formats. Requires a high degree of technical expertise and a detailed knowledge of the library’s policies and operating procedures or of specialized collection.
- Perform complex library work in patron services, responsible for developing complex search strategies and searching bibliographic sources including: accessing computer databases and local library catalogs to locate and verify information; responding to complex specialized requests; evaluating and approving inter-library loan requests; may represent department at meetings.
- Responsible for developing complex searches of bibliographic utilities and local library catalogs; maintaining budget records; selecting appropriate vendors; performing original cataloging of a variety of formats according to national and international standards; monitor quality and accuracy; may prepare bid specifications; serve as a resource for special projects.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining specialized collections; evaluating and recommending acquisitions for existing collection; interpreting and applying classification schemes; creating and maintaining databases, shelf lists and inventories; preparing guides; assisting patrons in the professional use of a collection; may supervise input of data.
- Some positions will provide supervision to staff.
35% of Time the Library Assistant 3
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Library Assistant 3
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Library Assistant 3
Library Circulation Manager, Library Section Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.