Job Standard for Library Computer and Information Systems Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Library Computer and Information Systems Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75286
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Business Systems Analysis & Support
Direct implementation, maintenance and improvement of all technology for Albertsons Library, delivering high quality solutions designed to increase access to and discoverability of Library systems, resources and services by the campus community. Provide leadership, management and coordination of efforts and skills of the Library Network Services staff to ensure efficient daily operations of Library Network Services.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. May report to a Chair, Unit Director, or equivalent administrative management.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, or a related field plus 5 years minimum experience in a similar type of work, including 1 year of management experience or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of virtual technology, networking systems, Microsoft Server, various electronic devices and operating systems, to include Linux and Apple OS and IOS.
- Strong understanding of library applications and technologies and experience working with an integrated library system, manipulating records, and database management.
- Microsoft and/or Cisco certification preferred and experience with Microsoft Hyper-V management, Cisco IOS configuration and troubleshooting, Cisco WLAN Controller, Active Directory management, Microsoft Failover Cluster Manager, Equallogic SAN HQ, and RedHat Enterprise Linux.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with project management experience.
- Management and supervisory experience.
- Ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships within the Library, the University community and with a variety of external associates through effective use of written and verbal communication.
60% of Time the Library Computer and Information Systems Manager must:
- Provide leadership, management and supervision for Library Network Services staff to ensure the highest level of service to internal and external users.
- Prepare and direct disaster recovery for Library systems, resources and services.
- Manage hardware lifecycle for all Library computing and networking equipment. Evaluate current systems and services for improvements. Plan, implement, maintain and troubleshoot Library networks.
- Organize and participate in the creation and maintenance of documentation for computing services.
- Develop and support the file and system storage needs of all Library units. Implement and maintain multiple layers of back-up solutions for Library systems, resources and services.
- Provide leadership in planning and implementation of desktop management tools and utilities. Collaborate with Library Network Services staff to determine and develop solutions for Library-wide computing needs. Strategize and implement computer security permissions for desktop and server resources.
- Provide internal support for server, including web server customization and configuration, database management and back-up and software configuration and connectivity.
- Generate system reports, import/export bibliographic and authority record files and coordinate and manage patron record creation from the Campus Solutions database.
- Train, manage, supervise, schedule and assign projects to Library Network staff. Facilitate user understanding of technology tools and usage. Provide leadership and guidance on incorporating emerging technologies into the Library.
- Ensure ADA compliance, maintaining current knowledge of emerging developments in technology and standards across platforms and devices.
35% of Time the Library Computer and Information Systems Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Library Computer and Information Systems Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
General Office; sedentary work–sitting most of time.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.