Job Standard for Lifeguard
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
- Work Type: Classified
- Job Code: 95090
- Pay Grade: D
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
To ensure the safety of individuals using the pool
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Current certification as Lifeguard by a recognized source of training
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong
- Ability to see details at a distance
- General knowledge of public safety role of a Lifeguard and tools used for emergencies
- Ability to speak to others to convey information effectively
60% of Time the Lifeguard must:
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility
- Acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons
- Provides emergency care and treatment until the arrival of medical services
- Reports incidents to appropriate department
35% of Time the Lifeguard
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Lifeguard
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
No travel required for Lifeguard
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.