Job Standard for Maintenance Craftsman, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Maintenance Craftsman, Senior Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06632
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Maintenance
To perform skilled trade duties in the operation, maintenance, and repair of buildings and related facilities and systems; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Good knowledge of: carpentry, plumbing, electrical and general building maintenance.
Some knowledge of: HVAC and mechanical systems maintenance; building codes.
Experience: performing skilled carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and building maintenance repair; using and maintaining tools and equipment normally associated with carpentry, mechanics, plumbing, and electrical work; reading blueprints and schematics.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance
- Ability to inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
60% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman, Senior must:
- Electrical. Maintains and repairs panels, circuits, wiring, and related systems; replaces switches, receptacles, ballast, fuse boxes, heat systems, motors, fans and lights; repairs electric motors; installs communication cable and telephone lines; assists journeyman electricians. Plumbing. Maintains and repairs plumbing fixtures; installs domestic, irrigation, and sprinkler systems; cuts and threads or sweats pipe; repairs steam traps; conducts preventive maintenance of plumbing and steam systems; assists journeyman plumbers. Carpentry. Installs ceramic floor and wall tile, linoleum, plastic laminate and similar products; repairs built-up, shake, shingle, and other roofs; patches holes in walls; reglazes windows; sketches from oral instructions and works from drawings to design and build specialty items; builds and sets forms and pours and finishes concrete. HVAC. maintains and repairs heating, ventilating, and air conditioning equipment such as air compressors, dryers, strainers, pneumatic and electronic controls and piping systems; insures water and steam coils, motors, belts, pulleys, condenser pans, ductwork, dampers, and related systems are working properly; repairs fire alarm and pumping systems.
- Conducts preventive maintenance on building devices and systems; operates equipment; performs machinist work; welds and repairs; rebuilds motors and performs mechanical and preventive maintenance work on equipment; repairs appliances; responds to emergency call-backs.
- Functions as a lead worker over other maintenance staff and assists with general related trade duties.
35% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents may work in all weather conditions and move in and around confined spaces. These positions are maintenance oriented. When working under the supervision of a licensed journeyman in a respective trade area incumbents can be an apprentice in that specialty. These positions involve lifting and carrying items weighing approximately 90 pounds, bending, stooping, shoveling, and climbing ladders.
Not applicable for Maintenance Craftsman, Senior
HVAC Specialist, Skilled Trade Foreman
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.