Job Standard for Maintenance Craftsman
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Maintenance Craftsman Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 06634
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Facilities Maintenance
To perform semi-skilled duties in the operation, maintenance and repair of buildings and related facilities and systems; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Some knowledge of: heating and cooling system maintenance and repair.
Experience: performing semi-skilled maintenance and repair involving carpentry, plumbing, electrical and general building maintenance trades work; using and maintaining tools and equipment normally associated with carpentry, mechanics, plumbing, and electrical work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Ability to perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed
60% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman must:
- Maintains and repairs electrical panels, circuits, wiring, receptacles, and switches; replaces motors, fans, lights, starters, ballasts, and auxiliary heat systems; assists journeyman electricians. Maintains and repairs plumbing faucets, sinks, drains, toilets, tubs, water heaters and water service and drain lines; repairs leaks; repairs steam traps; assists journeyman plumbers. HVAC. Maintains and repairs heating; monitors boiler room; checks and repairs leaks in heating/cooling systems. May maintain parking areas and boat ramps.
- Services and repairs gas lines; conducts preventive maintenance on building devices and systems; operates equipment; maintains hand and power tools associated with mechanics, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and general building maintenance; patches and repairs roofs; installs door and lock hardware; moves furniture; paints walls and woodwork; patches and repairs pavement; welds; cleans and shampoos carpet; replaces broken windows; shovels snow; and minor maintenance and repair of equipment; may install and maintain signs.
- Builds partitions and walls, installs windows, door frames, stairways and railings; hangs doors; repairs damaged wall surfaces; sands and refinishes hardwood floors; builds and sets forms and pours and finishes concrete; builds fences and gates.
- Assists other maintenance staff performing general related duties; may function as a lead worker over non-skilled staff; responds to emergency callbacks; may perform duties in the organization, operation.
35% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Maintenance Craftsman
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Incumbents may work in all weather conditions and move in and around confined spaces. These positions are maintenance oriented. When working under the supervision of a licensed journeyman in a respective trade area incumbents can be an apprentice in that specialty. Work involves lifting and carrying items weighing approximately 90 pounds, bending, stooping, shoveling, and climbing ladders. Work may be required in remote and rugged terrain.
Not applicable for Maintenance Craftsman
Maintenance Craftsman, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.