Job Standard for MakerLab Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75910
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Library
- Function: Library
The MakerLab Manager oversees operations, including the development and implementation of standard operating policy procedures for the MakerLab, in accordance with university policy and procedures. Position has direct responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the space, provides staff management and expertise in makerspace safety, operations and technologies. This position ensures adequate staffing for all hours of operation. Hours may vary depending on needs of the unit.
Provides direct supervision typically to professionals or skilled technical employees at the entry or intermediate level. Functions as advisor to unit and administration and sets goals and objectives for team members for achievement of operational results. Analyzes and resolves problems through drawing from prior experiences. Interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas) and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent plus 2 years experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills
- Supervision experience with supervisory best practices
- Ability to work as a member of a team and collaborate with others
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and community members
- Technical proficiency, and ability to train technical knowledge, with regards to the use and safety of equipment in the space
- Ability to interpret and enforce policies and procedures
- Project management, ability to work efficiently, prioritize tasks and multi-task.
- Ability to manage daily decision-making authority.
- Ability to think critically, identify challenges, and take action to resolve issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Availability to work nights and weekends as needed.
60% of Time the MakerLab Manager must:
- Hire, train, develop and supervise department/unit staff including student employees.
- Develops operations manuals, & policies and procedures; implements and provides training and associated support resources for employees.
- Develops and implements workflow processes for the department/unit.
- Oversees risk management and safety programs for the department/unit.
- Continually works to refine processes to create an environment that supports teaching and learning, and assures smooth daily operations.
- Maintains current knowledge of experiential learning methodologies and emerging technologies and shares these practices.
- Actively promotes respect for diversity and creates an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful atmosphere that embraces diversity.
35% of Time the MakerLab Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the MakerLab Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for MakerLab Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.