Job Standard for Management Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Management Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 05272
- Pay Grade: J
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 3
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Administrative Support
Performs a variety of administrative duties that enables management or administrators to function more effectively; or primary focus is on administering a program; perform related work.
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.
Experience: interpreting and applying regulations or policies and procedures; planning, organizing, implementing, and evaluating special projects; independently researching, compiling, developing and summarizing material for reports on a frequent or recurring basis; analyzing information, identifying problems, defining alternatives and developing recommendations for management/administrators.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, management practices, financial record keeping methods and personnel administration.
- Experience using computer applications, planning and scheduling techniques for a Chief Executive Officer, President, Vice President, or other executive officer of a company or organization; coordination, planning and scheduling techniques for a specialized program or an administrator of a company or organization; legal research methods; court systems and procedures; legal ethics; legal terminology.
- Experience coordinating events; using Publisher software; using Powerpoint; composing official correspondence, reports, research papers and other complex documents; managing budgets; handling sensitive or confidential matters; writing grants for capital projects and programs.
60% of Time the Management Assistant must:
- Performs minimal clerical support, decisions are non-routine and the consequence of error impacts the departments internal and external customers. Requires in-depth knowledge of the organization in order to manage a single program or multiple projects. They interpret, apply, and implement policies and procedures to accomplish the mission of the organization.
- Part of the management team and participate in management decisions and may supervise staff.
- They have administrative decision making latitude and serve in a leadership role. Recognized by others as having the authority and accountability delegated by the administrator when responding to inquiries, resolving complex problems or issues, or committing department resources. Authority to respond to sensitive or controversial issues that require high level public relations and interpersonal skills. May have budgeting responsibilities.
- The program knowledge for some positions can only be gained by extensive, progressive experience within the program. These positions may be underfilled with a lower level classification and delegated increasing authority as expertise is gained.
35% of Time the Management Assistant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Management Assistant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Management Assistant
Other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.