Job Standard for Managing Editor, Radio
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Managing Editor, Radio Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75147
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Broadcasting
This position serves to manage reporters from multiple stations across multiple states, the editor will manage content from member stations around the Mountain West.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, and 5 years experience including 1 year managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Ability to create and enforce deadlines
- Knowledge of supervisory practices
- Familiarity with public radio news programming.
- Broad knowledge of local, regional, national and international political, legislative, economic, scientific, arts and cultural affairs.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast production, writing, and editing
- Excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with a multiplicity of tasks simultaneously.
60% of Time the Managing Editor, Radio must:
- Generates and approves story ideas that focus on a wide range of issues throughout the mountain west. Work with reporters to create strong regional angles that are relevant to all the member stations.
- Assigns and edits stories, coordinates coverage, for radio and web for a team of reporters from several states, some of whom will rotate. Overseeing social media accounts and posts.
- Works with managing editors from several public media stations to ensure timely delivery of content, including audio, digital and, on occasion, multimedia content and other content.
- Coordinates coverage among related partners at other public media stations and news outlets.
- Keeps reporters on track, meeting their content expectations. Holds weekly conference calls with the reporting team.
- Serves as a resource for talk shows, including identifying sources and opportunities for additional coverage, conducting two-ways and interviews, and appearing as a guest.
- May oversee the work of interns.
- Participates in assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off. Participates in and helps create community engagement events.
35% of Time the Managing Editor, Radio
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Managing Editor, Radio
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Managing Editor, Radio
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.