Job Standard for Marketing/Promotions Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Marketing/Promotions Manager Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75180
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Marketing
Work closely with other members of the marketing team to determine the role for promotions in the specified departments overall strategy, and develop detailed plans to execute the strategy efficiently. Oversee creation of all marketing and promotions content adhering to university policy and brand guidelines.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience including 1 year of managerial experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Creative, project management and interpersonal skills.
- Exemplary customer service skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of customers, colleagues and vendors.
- Experience delegating to and managing a project team
- Good knowledge of: marketing principles, organizational skills, staffing, annual revenue and customer growth.
- Experience: in marketing or sales promotion; website management; promoting cultural competency and/or diversity; social media and MS Office products.
60% of Time the Marketing/Promotions Manager must:
- Create design concepts and make recommendations for national advertising, marketing materials and promotional pieces.
- Responsible for researching and overseeing the utilization of various analytical tools.
- Continue professional development by participating in organizations, workshops and conferences, and regular continuing education.
- Initiate market research studies and analyze their findings to understand customer and market opportunities for businesses.
- Direct the hiring of advertising, promotions, and marketing staff and oversee their daily activities.
35% of Time the Marketing/Promotions Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Marketing/Promotions Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Marketing/Promotions Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.