Job Standard for Marketing/Promotions, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Marketing Promotions, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75850
- Pay Grade: P8
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Communications & Marketing
- Function: Marketing
This position is responsible for developing operational strategies for the marketing team, and to assess and improve business processes within the divisional units. Additional responsibilities include leadership within the marketing team, developing UX strategies, and continued oversight of web initiatives. Manages marketing team.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus 5 years experience, including 1 year of managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Use strong oral and written communication skills sufficient to independently relate to staff and senior management
- Able to objectively work with highly confidential information
- Strong knowledge of User Experience (UX) principles and concepts, and experience designing/developing websites and web applications using UX strategies.
- Strong knowledge of web operations, including design, development, publishing, analytics, technical monitoring, etc.
- Strong understanding of business concepts and business processes. Familiarity with the latest marketing technology trends, as well as established marketing/technology best practices
- Demonstration of strong leadership, collaboration, facilitation and customer service skills with working knowledge of sales, marketing, and business analytics principles and best practices.
- A well-rounded background that includes marketing planning and strategy; business process design and review; marketing workflows; and behavioral marketing principles.
- Experience managing cross-functional teams or projects, influencing divisional level management and key stakeholders.
- Requires experience providing consulting services and the ability to negotiate optimal solutions.
- Experience interviewing and collecting information from business and technical users and transforming this into consumable information.
- A strong understanding of the content marketing lifecycle, as well as related content management and content delivery activities.
- Critical reasoning skills and decision making skills
- Ability to write clear and informative reports, and present findings to stakeholders.
- Thorough and up-to-date understanding of web publishing systems, web development and related capabilities.
- Experience in digital marketing or digital media.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and supervising staff
60% of Time the Marketing/Promotions, Senior Manager must:
- Identifies opportunities for improving business processes throughout the division and assists in process improvement/redesign, reengineering, business assessments, and strategy initiatives.
- Consult with departments to define needs or problems, conduct research, perform studies and surveys to obtain data, and analyze problems to advise and make recommendations on business processes and digital solutions.
- Employ critical thinking, effective data gathering & data analysis and problem solving skills to understand the situation.
- Determine best methods to turn data into knowledge. Work to create evolving data dashboards, reports, and visualizations to help support decisions and divisional/departmental outcomes.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures to improve efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and/or improve internal and external web services.
- Work with leadership to assess, develop, and implement strategies to enhance and coordinate college/divisional messaging
- Assess, develop, and implement operational strategies within the department to achieve divisional objectives and initiatives.
- Help foster the clarity and consistency of communication within the team and with divisional partners.
- Architect, implement, manage and optimize web technologies to enable achievement of departmental and division-wide objectives.
- Works directly with department management to develop website development plans with concise goals and objectives and priorities, executes plans, and reports results to stakeholders.
- Works with and documents client requirements to define customer needs and provide workable and efficient solutions.
- Provides work direction to project personnel and acts as a team lead on designated projects or assignments
- Provides guidance on UX requirements and strategies.
- Trains departmental staff on basic webpage updating and maintenance as required.
- Researches relevant web trends and comparable websites and makes recommendations to management on alternative processes and practices to improve web presence.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of website development initiatives by reviewing and reporting on site trends and developing an action plan based on findings.
- Monitors and tracks projects to assure quality production and conformance to client specifications and technical standards.
- Establishes unit goals, priorities, policies, procedures, and standards and makes sure staff follows them.
- Coordinates unit activities with other operations.
- Provides an environment conducive to creativity and learning.
- Hires and trains staff; assigns work and evaluates staff performance.
35% of Time the Marketing/Promotions, Senior Manager
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time the Marketing/Promotions Senior Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Marketing/Promotions, Senior Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.