Job Standard for Media Relations, Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Media Relations, Director Overview
- People Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75445
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Communications and Marketing
- Function: General Communications
Responsible for overseeing university communications to the media, including preparing articles, press kits, press releases, and other content initiatives. Cultivates and manages relationships with media reps.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 7 years experience including 3 years managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience guiding, directing and motivating team members, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance
- Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them
- Media planning/buying experience with proven examples of strategies developed for well-known brands that can show growth of earned media and affiliates network.
- Agency, TV/radio or news organization experience strongly preferred.
- Digitally fluent, with an understanding of the complex, fragmented media landscape and how to bring together cohesive programs and drive results for clients.
- Tech savvy, including most effective current platforms
- Knowledge of Media Relations databases.
- Superior organization and exceptional attention to detail. Self-starter, proactive, able to work independently and in team settings.
- Proven ability to independently manage multiple priorities in a fast paced and deadline driven environment, with highest quality and quantitative outputs.
60 % of Time Media Relations, Director will:
- Lead the day-to-day supervision of media planning including press briefings, media events, pitch materials, press releases, oversight of buy recommendations, execution details, budgets/accounting, etc.
- Develop sharp strategies and written press materials — media advisories, press releases, talking points, story pitches, spokesperson media training, media briefs and manage the approval process with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external stakeholders, influencers and partners.
- Serve as external clients daily media contact and act as overarching client lead when appropriate; address client issues thoughtfully and effectively. Develop and direct new business program development and presentations working with senior leaders, as needed.
- Perform as a leader with minimal supervision, taking full ownership of accounts and functioning autonomously.
- Develop strategies and recommendations for media plans and media strategies.
35% of Time Media Relations, Director:
Can be determined by department needs
5% of Time Media Relations, Director:
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection
Not applicable for Media Relations, Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and /or skills required. This job description is not an employment agreement and /or an expressed or implied contract. Management has the right to alter this job description at any time without notice.