Job Standard for Medical Assistant, Registered
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Medical Assistant, Registered Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 07616
- Pay Grade: H
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 2
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Clinical
Perform basic patient care functions to assist the nursing/clinical staff in a medical clinic with the examination or treatment of patients; perform related work.
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.
Successful completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program and certification or registration by either the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or American Medical Technologists (AMT) or American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA). LPN license will be accepted in lieu of AAMA or AMT or ARMA certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems
- Ability to communicate information and ideas effectively
- Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, including symptoms and preventive healthcare measures
60% of Time the Medical Assistant, Registered must:
- Work under supervision of a nurse or physician, performing routine duties and referring questions and problems to the supervisor.
- Maintain examining and treatment rooms by cleaning and setting up equipment, keeping rooms stocked with supplies, and preparing examining tables. Perform such duties as taking temperature, weight, blood pressure, and pulse. Prepare patients for examinations; advise patients concerning preparation for tests. Administer injections/treatments, perform EKGs and assist provider during examinations as needed. Obtain limited information from patients as to reason for visit, symptoms, etc.; chart patient information. Schedule appointments. Perform lab proficiency testing. Serve as advocate for Indigent Program organizing forms for providers, instruct patients, help patients complete forms, and serve as liaison with drug companies.
- May perform receptionist and/or routine clerical duties. May assist with minor surgical procedures involving knowledge of sterilization techniques and infection control. May coordinate health related informational campaigns. May perform standard diagnostic x-rays, develop film, and perform minor maintenance on film processor.
35% of Time the Medical Assistant, Registered
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Medical Assistant, Registered
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Medical Assistant, Registered
Other professional positions
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.