Job Standard for Medical Assistant
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Medical Assistant Overview
- Person Group: Classified
- Job Code: 7615
- Pay Grade: G
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Career Level: Level 1
- Family: Health Services
- Function: Clinical
Perform basic patient care functions to assist the nursing/clinical staff in a medical clinic with the examination or treatment of patients; perform related work.
Applies basic skills while developing some specialized skills in procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization; performs routine and/or repetitive tasks; limited decision making required; generally works under close supervision; has no or limited experience; work is performed from within specific limits of established procedures and/or defined instructions.
Experience: performing Medical Assistant duties under the supervision of a licensed physician or designated clinical staff. Basic knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT medical coding (International Classification of Diseases – 9th Revision Clinical Modification and Current Procedural Terminology). Experience using a computer to enter and retrieve information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience: in medication administration; performing clinical venipuncture, injections, and vital signs; in obtaining health histories.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
60% of Time the Medical Assistant must:
- Incumbents work under the direct supervision of a physician or designated clinical staff, performing routine duties and referring questions or problems to the supervisor. There are two levels in the series: Medical Assistant and Registered Medical Assistant. They are differentiated on the basis of the range of activities that are carried out, and the level of independence with which they carry out these activities. Incumbents in the Medical Assistant classification do not require a Medical Assistant Certification or Registration.
- Maintain examining and treatment rooms by cleaning and setting up equipment, keeping rooms stocked with supplies, and preparing examining tables. Perform such duties as taking temperature, weight, blood pressure, and pulse; preparing patients for examinations; advising patients concerning preparation for tests. Administer injections/treatments, perform EKG’s and assist provider during examinations as needed. Obtain limited information from patients as to reason for visit, symptoms, etc.; chart patient information. Schedule appointments for patients as well as appointments for patient referrals. Perform lab proficiency testing, run in-house lab tests, prepare outside lab specimens, check lab orders and bills for accuracy. Serve as advocate for Indigent Program organizing forms for providers, instruct patients, help patients complete forms, and serve as liaison with drug companies. May perform receptionist and/or routine clerical duties such as filling out forms, answering telephones, or filing; may perform standard diagnostic x-rays, develop film, and perform minor maintenance on film processor.
35% of Time the Medical Assistant
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Medical Assistant
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Medical Assistant
Medical Assistant, Registered
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.