Job Standard for Medical Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Medical Director Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75358
- Pay Grade: P17
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Director
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Executive
Works in close collaboration with the Health Service administrative team, and other departments to help develop policy and procedures to ensure high quality healthcare delivery, a healthy university student population and a healthy overall university community.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years experience including 5 years managerial experience or relevant.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills are essential
- Ability to perform, teach and mentor, superior medical skills
- Must have exemplary customer service skills with the ability and willingness to communicate with a wide variety of customers, colleagues, and personnel.
- Good knowledge of: primary care services and industry best practices; must have budgetary and financial skills regarding billing and medical coding; supervisory and management; quality assurance initiatives and studies.
- Experience: providing leadership to a department of Medical Services or similar; supervising medical professionals in a college health setting; in an integrated medical and counseling health care model; accreditation processes and requirements.
60% of Time the Medical Director must:
- Diagnose, manage and treat medical problems in patients who seek care at Health Services.
- Oversight of the provider staff and all Quality Assurance and regulatory compliance activities of Health Services.
- Build and foster healthy relationships and collaborative partnerships, embrace diverse opinions, and provide the support needed for others to be successful in their work.
- Provide leadership and accountability regarding all medical services and protocols to Boise State University Health Services.
- Recruit, hire, orient, manage and evaluate medical providers (physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants) at Boise State University Health Services.
- Work with colleagues in Health services, the College, and the University, in order to set priorities, mission and focus for medical care on campus.
35% of Time the Medical Director
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Medical Director
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Medical Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.